Monday, February 18, 2013

The editor: terrain, textures, meshes

Big undertaking, big problems, big discoveries.

I realized today (silly me) that in order to build a game with unreal engine, I didn't just need to know how to program it. I also need to know how to properly build it, as in, build the map(s) or level(s).

Grave underestimation.

The UDK editor comes with a huge set of features, each of which requires some learning to be able to use. My first challenge was to understand how to create a terrain and shape it. With the help of a couple of videos found on the official website, I managed to create my first terrain, and to even have different textures on it. Small step for mankind, giant leap for me.




Awesome! Now I can create kick-ass maps!
...and, er, what should I have in them? Next challenge please!

I have to admit, my experience in Unity didn't prepare me for dealing with Unreal. It's not that it's hard, it's just that the learning curve is steeper. But once you know what you need to know, everything's perfectly doable. And figuring out by myself (achievement unlocked!) how to add static meshes from a different package into the current map is a proof to show the world that it is kinda intuitive; once you learned one of the tools, the rest of them are used pretty similarly. I even figured out how to paint colors directly on the meshes. Yea, I painted the roof of the citadel into pink.


And now, what's left? Well... All the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment